Till senaste kommentaren

Educated abroad, working in Sweden? (Whether a Swedish citizen or not.)

Hi, can I work in Sweden even if I have been educated abroad?


  • Higher education in the EU is regulated by the Lisbon Recognition Convention, allowing the mutual recognition of higher education, access to education, credit transfers for study periods and admission to continued studies.

    Some professions are regulated in Sweden, which means that to practice that profession you must be authorised or certified, or similar. If you have a foreign qualification in a profession that is regulated in Sweden, you must contact the relevant authority to apply for authorisation to work in that profession. For example, if you are a qualified doctor, dentist, psychologist or nurse, you should send your application to the National Board of Health and Welfare (Socialstyrelsen). The authority will then decide whether your qualification is equivalent to a Swedish qualification in the same field.

    If your qualification is not equivalent to a Swedish one, you can supplement it with the missing courses at a Swedish higher education institution, after which the authority can make a new assessment. If you have a qualification that is not included in the below list of regulated professions, you do not need to apply for authorisation from an authority to work in that profession in Sweden.

    If you have foreign higher education and wish to continue studying in Sweden, talk a to study guidance counsellor at the higher education institution you wish to study at, so they can decide about credit transfers from your foreign education.

    Read more about higher education in Sweden on the Swedish Council for Higher Education’s information website about studying in Sweden at www.studera.nu. UHR also provides more information about using foreign qualifications in Sweden.

    Kind Regards,
    Josefin Redaktör

Kommentera eller skriv ett nytt inlägg

Ditt namn och inlägg kan ses av alla. Din e-post visas aldrig publikt.